In this lesson the conversation is continued between Faithful and Christian. Faithful recounts his interaction with Adam the First, Moses, Discontent, and then they both encounter Talkative. It includes an introduction to Jonathan Edwards on The Religious Affections, what are NOT signs that a person has holy affections.
SHOWING WHAT ARE NO CERTAIN SIGNS THAT RELIGIOUS AFFECTIONS ARE GRACIOUS, OR THAT THEY ARE NOT.
That religious affections are very great, or raised very high, is no sign
- That they have great effects on the body, is no sign
III. That they cause those who have them to be fluent, fervent, and abundant, in talking of the things of religion, is no sign
- That persons did not excite them of their own contrivance and by their own strength, is no sign
- That they come with texts of Scripture, remarkably brought to the mind, is no sign
- That there is an appearance of love in them, is no sign
VII. Persons having religious affections of many kinds, accompanying one another, is no sign
VIII. That comforts and joys seem to follow awakenings and convictions of conscience, in a certain order, is no sign
- That they dispose persons to spend much time in religion, and to be zealously engaged in the external duties of worship, is no sign
- That they much dispose persons with their mouths to praise and glorify God, is no sign
- That they make persons that have them exceeding confident that what they experience is divine, and that they are in a good estate, is no sign
XII. That the outward manifestations of them, and the relation persons give of them, are very affecting and pleasing to the godly, is no sign